What is now Timber Lake began around the turn of the century as the Mountain School. The main section of the dining hall and nearby buildings were constructed in 1908 as part of the school with tunnels connecting the buildings to allow the students to avoid harsh winters.
After the Mountain School closed around 1918, the property was eventually sold to Sam Mall for the sum of $8,000. Sam Mall established Camp Allegro for Girls. The camp had an enrollment of about 300 and used only half of the current campus. The other half remained woodlands throughout the 1950’s.
In 1948, the property was sold to a new owner and converted into Camp Delmar for Boys and Girls, which operated for 14 years until it was purchased yet again and turned into Timber Lake Camp in 1962.
The current owner, Jay Jacobs, came to Timber Lake as a camper for the first time in 1967. He held seven different positions at camp including four years as a camper before buying the camp in 1980. Since becoming the owner, Jay has built Timber Lake into one of the preeminent residential camps on the East Coast. He has done this in many ways, but one of the largest is the care and attention he gives to the campus. Jay can be seen walking the grounds and looking for ways to improve and update the campus almost daily. This focus on quality and service in a beautiful, natural setting is what makes Timber Lake the perfect place to host any event.